Hi neighbors, happy New Year! We wanted to take some time to review some of the major events and changes that occurred over the last year, as we celebrate the beginning of 2019.
Here are some of our highlights from last year in Licton Springs:
LoveLicton gets off the ground with its first article showing Licton Springs Park in spring.Read more Mar 12
I5 Pedestrian Bridge Goes Forward
After fears about the state of the project, the commitment to build a pedestrian bridge from Licton Springs directly to light rail and the mall is reaffirmed.Read more Mar 14
Tiny House Permit Renewed
The Licton Springs Tiny House Village gets its permit renewed for an additional year.Read more Apr 6
El Patio replaces Tropicos Breeze
Fear that we lost our favorite Latin restaurant was quelched when it's revealed the restaurant is only changing ownership within the same family.Read more Apr 19
School Street Safety Improvements
Street safety improvements along 92nd and 90th, around the new schools, begin preparation.Read more May 14
Aurora Starts Getting Cleaned-up
A pawn shop on Aurora Ave. N. that has been encouraging neighborhood theft gets shut down. Meanwhile, weekly street & sidewalk cleaning begin.Read more May 30
Urban Forest Work Begins
Neighbors and Trees for Seattle come together to begin building a thriving urban forest in Licton Springs.Read more Jun 1
Disc Golf Lessons Start
LoveLicton works with the local Disc Golf community to begin free monthly beginner disc golf lessons.Read more Jun 10
LSCC Gets New Website
LoveLicton and the Licton Springs Community Council partner to create a new website for LSCC.Read more Jun 30
Original Real Estate Gold Rush
Documents revealing Licton Spring's role in Seattle's original real estate goldrush are discovered.Read more Jul 3
Teriyaki Taste Test!
LoveLicton highlights several local restaurants as it performs the first ever Licton Springs Teriyaki Taste TestRead more Jul 7
Mineral Springs Park Community
A strong community starts building around Mineral Springs Park, with a community bbq and monthly cleanup events.Read more Jul 21
Greenway Construction Begins
Construction of the North Seattle Neighborhood Greenway project down 100th Ave N begins.Read more Jul 22
Licton Springs the Most Competitive Neighborhood?
Redfin comes out with an index to score competitiveness when buying a home in a neighborhood, and Licton Springs comes out on top across the entire country.Read more Jul 24
Transit Frequency Increased
Transit frequency for 2 of Licton Springs most popular bus routes (the E-line and 41) get increased.Read more Jul 25
Licton Springs chosen for Home Zone Pilot
Licton Springs was chosen by Seattle Neighborhood Greenways for North Seattle's pioneering Home Zone Pilot.Read more Aug 12
Outdoor Movie Night and Dog Pawty
LoveLicton works with Seattle Parks to hold the first ever outdoor movie night in Mineral Springs ParkRead more Sep 14
Oak Tree Starbucks Closes
It's a sad day for Coffee lovers in Licton Springs as the urban village's only coffee shop shuts its doors. Starbucks decided to close the location, one of its original 10 locations, after 31 years in business.Read more Sep 16
Non-pedestrian Business Moratorium Extended
The City Council unanimously passes an extension of the moratorium on non-pedestrian friendly business within the Aurora Licton Urban Village.Read more Sep 24
Tiny House Village Closure
The Licton Springs Tiny House Village announces its plans to close permanently early in 2019.Read more Sep 26
Aurora Bridge Art Project
The Aurora Bridge Pedestrian Art project, which ALUV spearheaded, begins construction.Read more Oct 16
Pilgrim Coffee comes to Oak Tree
Pilgrim Coffee begins serving coffee at Oak Tree Plaza, filling the void left from Starbucks closingRead more Nov 5
LoveLicton wins Denny Award
LoveLicton wins Denny Award for its role in bringing the community together.Read more Nov 15
Daffodils planted by Aurora Bridge
Neighbors come together and plant daffodils at site of ALUV's Aurora Bridge Art Project.Read more Nov 17
Community Board Games
LoveLicton partners with Meridian Center for Health to host a community board game and coffee event.Read more Nov 24
OpenSource meetup launched
LoveLicton launches local OpenSource hackathon meetup in partnership with NorthSeattle College and DomainTools LLC.Read more Nov 28
Home Zone Pilot Begins
Licton Springs Home Zone Pilot begins making progress with first wayfinding sign put in place.Read more Nov 28
Holidays in Licton Spring
Holiday events in Mineral Springs Park and Licton Springs Park bring the community together.Read more Dec 15
Pilgrim Coffeehouse Expands Schedule
Pilgrim Coffeehouse ends 2018 and starts 2019 with an expanded 5 day (Monday-Friday) schedule.Read more Dec 30
We look forward to an even more amazing 2019!
Happy New Year!
We wanted to share with you some of the holiday cheer we saw on display around Licton Springs.
Many houses in the neighborhood have impressive light displays:
Businesses along North Aurora (Nora) are also lit up nicely this year as icicles line the business fronts:
In nearby Greenwood, the tradition of placing playful monkeys in business windows for zoo lights continues:
Over in Olympic Manor, it appears more houses are decorated than are not:
Finally, in Maple Leaf we enjoyed seeing this light display in-sync with music:
If you want to go see some holiday lights for yourself this season, here are some of our favorite public installations nearby:
Did we miss anything? What is your favorite house or public light installation? Let us know in the comments below!
Join us tonight at North Seattle College, for our first ever Open Source development meetup:
There will be free food and coffee (from Pilgrim Coffeehouse!).
Hope to see some of you there!
We at LoveLicton wanted to wish you a happy Thanksgiving!
We have so much to be thankful for this year:
- Our readers and community members that together make this a great place to call home.
- Licton Springs Community Council as they've continued their great work of giving a unified voice to all community members and helping to lead community events (including the phenomenal Halloween event at Licton Springs Park).
- ALUV who has been working tirelessly to improve the Aurora Corridor. Their latest work can be seen on the Aurora Ave N. pedestrian bridge art project.
- Licton Springs P-Patch leadership really making our p-patch not only beautiful but a cornerstone of the community.
- Licton-haller Greenways / Seattle Neighborhood Greenways working to make North Seattle and Licton Springs walkable and bikeable. They've been crucial in the creation of many Licton Springs Greenways such as the one nearing completion on N 100TH street, and have been working on North Seattle's pioneering Home Zone Pilot right here in Licton Springs.
- Epic Life Church has consistently been there for the community. Allowing community meetings to be hosted in their church, leading a cleanup down along Aurora Ave N., and hosting community events.
- Meridian Health Center which has served as the closest thing to a Licton Springs Community Center. They've hosted all the Licton Springs Community Council meetings, Mineral Springs Park meetings, and even community events such as Saturday's board game event.
- Friends of Mineral Springs Park, Mineral Springs Disc Golf Club, and Seattle Parks and Recreation as they've worked to bring a strong sense of community to Seattle's only Disc Golf Park. This has lead to many events being held at the park and increased / more varied usage.
- Pilgrim Coffee set up in Oak Tree Plaza when we needed them most and have been roasting and brewing excellent coffee for the community.
- North Seattle College who've worked with the city and local community members to ensure a safe, appealing, and environmental conscience bridge is built from Licton Springs to the upcoming Northgate Lightrail Station. They've also been working with us to ensure Licton Springs and North Seattle College become a hotbed of Open Source innovation.
- Northwest Danish Association beyond all the great work they do for our Danish residents, they opened up their doors on many occasions for community-wide events.
- Buy Nothing Licton Springs who has done more than just provide a venue for the exchange of items, providing a forum for constructive community conversation, and the sharing of community events.
- All the other countless local businesses and non-profits in Licton Springs.
We hope you enjoy the holiday with your family and loved ones!
And after the holiday and Black Friday shopping is over we hope to unwind with some of you over coffee and board games: