Several Licton Springs Community Council board members stopped by the Northgate Ped/Bike Bridge Project Information Session held at North Seattle College on January 7th to learn more about construction efforts.
We are excited to share that the construction is approved to begin today, January 27, 2020. The bridge will connect NE 100th Ave and 1st Ave NE & NE 100th, near the future light rail station in Northgate.
Quick facts about the new bridge:
• When complete, the bridge will be 1,900 feet long.
• West approach designed to maintain sightlines and preserve natural habitat
• East approach designed to preserve parking
• Only a 10-minute walk from one side to the other
• 1,500 anticipated users per day
• 16 feet wide
• Estimated construction completion in Fall 2021
• Typical construction hours are weekdays, 7am – 5pm
• Occasional weekends and night work will occur
• 2 freeway closures, on weekends and at night only, with detours
• Temporary full closure of the North Seattle Park & Ride on 1st Ave NE
• Trail closures on the North Seattle College campus
The first phase of construction over the next several months will focus on clearing vegetation, preparing watercourse work, drilling bridge shafts, and constructing girders for the bridge spans which happens offsite. As neighbors to the project, we can expect to see large machinery, dust, noise, debris, and traffic impacts from lane closures and shifts.
To learn more visit www.seattle.gov/transportation/NorthgatePedBridge
Additionally, there will be a groundbreaking ceremony held on Feburary 5th from 2PM to 3PM at Northgate Station Garage (at the intersection of 1st Ave NE and NE 103rd St). At the event, you’ll hear from District 5 Councilmember Debora Juarez, Seattle Department of Transportation Director Sam Zimbabwe, Sound Transit CEO Peter Rogoff, and representatives from Washington State Department of Transportation and key community groups. To RSVP, please email [email protected].